Irish National 2017

Please add your tips and trends for the Irish National on 17th April at Fairyhouse.

123 Responses to Irish National 2017

General Principle is interesting ad Bryan Cooper has chosen him according to racecard. Too many can win this so just the 1 for me.

* as

3. Oscar says:

Stuck with my original two of Tiger Roll and Haymount.
    Added Bless the Wings @20/1 with PP earlier. Big plus having Jack Kennedy on board.

4. Jackie says:

My fancies have gone, so looking again my two are General Principle and Bonny Kate, just the 2 for me.

5. Jackie says:

When the fiirst decs were ust out this morning Lads had General Principle at 25′s, had score on, will top up too. Poor prices around :(

Lost my The Tullow Tank AP but have Our Duke @ 14/1.

I will add

Oscar Knight @ 25/1
    Haymount @ 16/1
    Baie Des Iles @ 25/1
    General Principle @ 25/1

* 16/1 for General Principle not 25/1! I wish.

8. Jackie says:

I was just going to say if you can find the 25′s again please let me know ;)

My original lot looks good

Lucky Vane says:
    April 12, 2017 at 8:41 pm
    Applying those trends which I found from 2015 I get

1 General Principle
    2 Bonny Kate
    3 Sambremont
    4 Another Hero
    5 Full Cry
    6 Stone Hard
    7 All Hell Let Loose
    8 Akorakor
    9 Not For Buring

May cut up further the closer we get to the race.

Cross references with seven tower’s list

Seven Towers says:
    April 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm
    My scoring system has these horses out clear

BONNY KATE 105
    OSCAR KNIGHT (reserve) 105
    HAYMOUNT 100
    BAIE DES ILES 95
    MEASUREOFMYDREAMS 95
    ROGUE ANGEL 95
    SAMBREMONT 95

Gives me Bonny Kate & Sambremont to cheer on, good enough for me :)

10. Jackie says:

Corals have General P at 20′s

11. galileo says:

Hi gang,
    Just had a look at the re-run of the Cheltenham 4 miler,TIGER ROLL did clatter a couple of fences,but steady himself and got back in the race with a nice turn of pace at the end and going away from the field,after 4m,got to be impressed,would be looking for a top 3 finish here to put down an early marker,had a dabble at 50/1 as well.

How could I be so blind to trends! sod the trends, the winner is……….Arbre De Vie. Think Ruby has picked the wrong one.

Why abre de vie?Never looked like winnling a chase yet and can’t work out why he is only 20s

Need convincing so help me out please

A friend in the pub this afternoon who goes to ireland a lot was given arbre as atip by one of his irish mates but i don’t see it?

Added Fletchers Flyer at 10/1 to my portfolio
    Our Duke 10/1
    Tiger Roll 20/1
    Fletchers Flyer 10/1
    Not sure whether this is a new race and stats should start anew from this year, as prize money gone up substantially and a better class of horse now attracted to the race. Hence Gigginstown aiming 14 horses at it.
    Anybody agree or are you all still of the opinion it’s business as usual, stats wise ?

Could go either way Corbs.

Moari, the reasons I have backed Arbre De Vie…I wanted to keep certain trends i.e. official rating and weight. Yes it is true has not won a chase but a line through Tiger Roll on last run suggests (to me anyway) that it could be well in here, we will never know where it would have finished having clipped the heels and unseating when presumably just getting in contention, but if Haymount and for that matter Tiger Roll are fancied, why not this horse? Also came 2nd (beaten 4 3/4L) to Acapella Bourgeois which went on to win the Ten Up novice chase (Haymount 11 L in third) so that’s another line of form I looked at. I guess I just think this is the dark horse that could surprise. Could be totally wrong of course but have gone in anyway, can’t give more of an explanation I am afraid.

Thanks kevski,will have another good look at him.

He’s a bit short to back on his own with my small stakes but might do him in an e/w double with vivaldi collonges at ayr next week

If Arbre De Vie has a better chance than Haymount then why isn’t Ruby riding him?
    I don’t see why Ruby would not pick the best out of them two.

Looks like Double Seven is out.

Sambremont RPR138 > INOR138 = 0

Added Oscar Knight 25-1 assuming he runs now.

Like I say Mike N I think Ruby has maybe picked the wrong one, not much between them, it happens but I could be totally wrong. Yes Oscar Knight looks interesting.

Ruby picked the wrong one today in the valuable hurdle. Omen?

I think Arbre has a hood on for the first time tomorrow. Might make a difference.

Ooh Road to respect goes in today, another pointer to Haymount and Arbre.

Lucky Vane says:

4 Another Hero
    5 Full Cry
    6 Stone Hard
    7 All Hell Let Loose
    8 Akorakor
    9 Not For Buring

May cut up further the closer we get to the race.

Cross references with seven tower’s list

Seven Towers says:
    April 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm
    My scoring system has these horses out clear

BONNY KATE 105
    OSCAR KNIGHT (reserve) 105
    HAYMOUNT 100
    BAIE DES ILES 95
    MEASUREOFMYDREAMS 95
    ROGUE ANGEL 95
    SAMBREMONT 95

Gives me Bonny Kate & Sambremont to cheer on, good enough for me. Going to add on Noble Endeavor and Our Duke their running style fits recent winners.

Mike N says:
    April 14, 2017 at 7:55 am
    2017 stats…

10/10 age 6-10
    10/10 under 11 stone
    10/10 irish or French bred
    10/10 had run at least twice that season
    10/10 had won 1 to 4 chases
    10/10 had first start in a hurdle, bumper or point to point
    10/10 first 3 in a race including a PTP over 3m+
    10/10 won right handed
    Since 2007 all 10 winners and 38 of 40 places were filled by horses rated 128 to 142.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

this leaves…

Haymount
    Stellar Notion
    Rogue Angel
    General Principal
    Bonny Kate
    Sambremont
    Oscar Knight

Last april the game changer beat sizing john 11 lengths off level weights all be it over 2 miles .Could he really have deteriorated that much in 12 months that he should be 125/1 for this especially as he is completely unexposed at any trip beyond 2m 4f?

He is only 8 yr old after all

That’s the problem Moari. The trip is a complete stab in the dark.

33. moreen says:

I’ve backed Arbre as well but annoyingly only got 16/1 ; got a bad feeling that I clicked on Tell us More by mistake last night, as I’ve got no idea why I backed it! (again problems with having a rubbish iPad that doesn’t work very well). Also Bless the Wings, Oscar Knight, First Let and Bonny Kate. However, really want Abolitionist to win for the new Lady trainer who did so well at Cheltenham. Can’t access racing radio here but I’d love to hear how Des gets on calling all those Gigginstown horses home!

34. moreen says:

….oh, and had to have an ew on the 125/1 horse!

Have just watched a re run of Tiger roll’s race at Chelts on you tube (could only find with French commentary) and Arbre was actually running better than Haymount when clipping heels of the horse in front when making it’s move. Have backed them both anyway but feel more confident of a cracking run, of course anything can happen in the race so in the lap of the Gods now.

Organisedconfusion had only run up to 2m5f with a win @ 2m2f & a 3rd @ 2m5f.

39 yrs since a 12yr old won & we have 3 crackers in the race.

37. Showlad says:

Morning all :) :)

Looking forward to attempting to solve this race when I return this aft.

The stats are as usual a good guide and I think, like Rogue lasy year, 1 more key stat may go this year and it will be either OR or age.

Was on Rogue last year and I think it’s stats as a guide and then your skill of assessment and gut.

Morning all…
    This may be simpler than it looks, as at least half of the Gigginstown squad are surely not up to this… three of them had really hard races at Aintree and there are at least three more who are extremely doubtful stayers. Stellar Notion clearly hated Aintree, but I can’t believe this isn’t an afterthought. Alpha Des Obeaux bled last time, and STFD isn’t the horse he was.
    Our Duke might be a National winner in the making but 6/1 is a very short price about a horse with only three chases behind him, no previous handicap form, and no experience in a big field.
    My four against the field are
    FOXROCK @ 18/1 – laid out for this all season, well handicapped and seems to have retained a high level of ability in Hunter chases
    TIGER ROLL @ 16/1 – a fine win at Cheltenham and a proven stayer
    ABOLITIONIST @ 16/1 – won on unsuitable ground last time, done nothing but improve all season
    BAIE DES ILES @ 40/1 – connections seem happy enough with the ground, a proven stayer… just worried she might set it up for others
    I would have included Thunder And Roses if I’d thought he had recovered from Aintree or that Sambremont’s jumping might stand up to it…

Good luck whatever you go for…

The only time i have ever backed a horse at 100/1or bigger is the guineas or epsom classics because sometimes horses have been known to place at those ridiculous odds but today went back in the bookies and placed a bet at 150/1 on a chaser for the 1st time ever.Just a gut feeling that he stays coupled with the fact that he has beaten a grand national winner who finished 2nd in the irish version and also a gold cup winner.minella rocco may have and probably did inherit his staying power from his dam but what if he got it from his sire.and grand sire?

Dosage & CMP say he will.

Baie Des Iles is out of the race.

Moari what’s the horse you have backed at 150/1 and in which race ?

42. elliotthodges says:

Hi Lucky Vane

With the majority now already having their minds made up and bets already placed, could you possibly post the voting table for those of us who haven’t had chance to look at the race properly?

Would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

With BDI out I will put my spare cash on SAMBREMONT @ 40/1.

So I have

Our Duke @ 14/1
    Haymount @ 16/1
    Oscar Knight @ 25/1
    General Principle @ 16/1
    Sambremont @ 40/1

44. moreen says:

Corbiere; I assume it’s The Game Changer in the IN. Certainly an interesting runner. Seems to only run in 2m cl 1 races. Very much the unknown quantity in the race.

I’ve backed three.

Bless The Wings @16s
    Foxrock @20s
    Bonny Kate@33s

Seems to be a lot of support today for Foxrock so I’m particularly keen on his chances.

Good Luck everyone.

The are no voting tables for the Irish & Scottish National as such. But if you want one then we used to do a mini vote with say the best 3 in your opinion.

My 3 would be

Our Duke 3
    Raz De Maree 3
    Noble Endeavor 2
    Thunder & Roses 2
    Bonny Kate 2

Hope your bets are profitable and don’t Scottish National on Saturday

Shame Baie Des Iles is out…
    Will move my bet to the other mare – Bonny Kate