Grand National 2018 – Weights Revealed

Please add your GN thoughts post the announcements of the weights

1,156 Responses to Grand National 2018 – Weights Revealed

1. Lucky Vane2 says:

Here are the comments about those horses

Gold Present : Lengthy gelding: winning hurdler: very smart chaser: improved this season, winning both starts, handicap at Newbury (by neck from Warriors Tale) and Silver Cup at Ascot (by 3 lengths from Frodon), both in December: stays 3m: acts on good to soft going: often travels well: seems stronger finisher nowadays and may do better still.

Bellshill : Workmanlike gelding: smart hurdler: similar form over fences: off 12 months, 8/13, won 5-runner Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse last time by 4¾ lengths from A Genie In Abottle, leading on bridle 2 out and kept up to work from last: stays 25f: acts on heavy going: often travels strongly.

Seeyouatmidnight : Strong, rangy gelding: smart hurdler: off 4 months, 3/1, ran well when 10 lengths second of 8 to Big River in handicap at Kelso final 2016/17 start: very smart chaser: won intermediate chase at Carlisle (by 12 lengths from Bristol de Mai) on 2016/17 return: stays 4m: acts on heavy going: front runner/races prominently: has had wind operation since latest outing.

Regal Encore :Compact gelding: winning hurdler: smart handicap chaser: off 8 weeks, 6/1, at least as good as ever when won 6-runner listed event at Ascot last time by 1½ lengths from Minella Daddy, jumping on last: stays 3¼m: acts on soft going: has worn hood: has worn tongue tie, including usually of late: usually races towards rear.

Total Recall : Lengthy gelding: useful hurdler: off 10 weeks, 5/6, won 16-runner handicap at Leopardstown last time readily by 3 lengths from Oscar Knight: smart chaser: won Munster National Handicap Chase at Limerick in October and Ladbrokes Trophy Chase at Newbury (by neck from Whisper) in December: left Ms Sandra Hughes after final (2016/17) start: stays 3¼m: acts on heavy going: sure to progress further.

Pendra : Rather plain gelding: winning hurdler: smart handicap chaser: won Grade 3 event at Ascot (by 3¼ lengths from Double Ross) in 2015/16: off 11 months and in blinkers (replacing cheekpieces), 16/1, at least as good as ever when ¾-length second of 24 to Domesday Book in Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Chase at Cheltenham only 2016/17 start: stays 3¼m (shaped as if finding test too much in Grand National in 2016): acts on good to firm and heavy going.

Vieux Lion Rouge : Lengthy gelding: winning hurdler: smart handicap chaser: won Becher Chase at Aintree and Grand National Trial at Haydock in 2016/17: off 10 weeks, 13/2, looked back in form when 11¾ lengths fourth of 6 to Regal Encore in listed event at Ascot last time, twice hampered: stays 3½m: acts on heavy going: wears headgear: tried in tongue tie: often races prominently.

Definitly Red :Sturdy gelding: smart form over hurdles: top-class chaser: won Many Clouds Chase at Aintree (by 7 lengths from Cloudy Dream) in December: 7/1, followed up in 8-runner Cotswold Chase at Cheltenham last time by 8 lengths from American, staying on strongly after 2 out: thorough stayer: acts on heavy going: reliable

Acapella Bourgeois : Lengthy gelding: useful form over hurdles: very smart chaser: won maiden and Ten Up Novices’ Chase (by 32 lengths from Road To Respect) both at Navan in 2016/17: good effort when 9 lengths second of 9 to Polidam in handicap at same course in December: off 6 weeks, 9/10, reportedly bled when pulled up in Dan Moore Memorial Handicap Chase won by Doctor Phoenix at Fairyhouse last time: left Ms Sandra Hughes after final (2016/17) start: stays 3m: acts on heavy going: has worn hood: tried in tongue tie.

Bless The Wings :Sturdy gelding: winning hurdler: smart handicap chaser: runner-up 3 times in 2016/17, including in Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase at Cheltenham (9 lengths behind Cause of Causes) and Irish Grand National at Fairyhouse (beaten 14 lengths by Our Duke): 12/1, won 9-runner cross-country event at Cheltenham last time by 2½ lengths from Cantlow, jumping/travelling well and going on before 2 out: stays 3¾m: acts on good to firm and heavy going: wears headgear: has worn tongue tie: often races towards rear.

Outlander : Lengthy gelding: winning hurdler: top-class chaser: won Champion Chase at Down Royal (by ½ length from Road To Respect) in November: 6/1, good neck second of 10 to Edwulf in Irish Gold Cup at Leopardstown (has fine record there) last time: stays 25f, but at least as effective around 2½m: acts on heavy going: in cheekpieces last 4 starts: usually races prominently.

Kelso race cut up badly for tomorrow, only Seeyouatmidnight and I just know still in.

I see they have an inspection today rather than on the day of racing, which doesn’t usually bode well for the meeting.

4. Lucky Vane2 says:

If the meeting doesn’t go ahead, then Seeyouatmidnight could be forced to miss National. Wonder if they a back up plan?

I don’t know the racing calendar too well but are there any races on Good Friday? His mark precludes him from running in most chases between now and the race, so hopefully it will pass the inspection. Quite why this rule came in is beyond me. Mely Moss and State Of Play did ok. It’s not as if the BHA don’t allow horses to protect their marks for all other handicaps.

Being Thomson I did wonder if Ayr would be preferable to him anyway.

Kelso called off… not sure where that leaves SYAM now…

7. ESB says:

I would have thought that SYAM would have a few opportunities yet but they may have to travel a distance (maybe even to Ireland) with him.

All you on SYAM should cash out now. Surely a horse cant win this race with a prep like this.

9. NTS says:

Mike N – SYAM my sentiments exactly, cashed out a couple of hours ago, backed @ 70′s so no harm done, sometimes it’s not meant to be; was getting concerned when trainer took out of Ultima and relied on Kelso. If he gets a run perhaps the Scottish National again might be compensation?

He won’t be allowed to run anyway will he….

11. ESB says:

I didn’t understand the great enthusiasm for SYAM and now I don’t understand the pessimism. If they go for the veterans race at Carlisle, they have a long drive there but the conditions are likely to be better and he will be in with a bigger field, which should be a better test of fitness.

rosettes thanks for your selection:

I Just Know

But i am afraid he is not going to get into my list;
    Best weight adjusted RP since April 1st is 152 (twice and career best) too low i think compared to others.
    Best TS this season is 95 (needs 97).
    Career best TS is 117 – the biggest negative, needs 128.

One for the future maybe but is not good enough currently against many other stronger claims.

OK the almost final line up other than looking at one or two who may run after Cheltenham at the top of the list and ofcourse we will need to take account of Cheltenham runs.

My first eight are:
    1. Total Recall 179
    1. Vincente 177
    3. The Last Samuri 178
    3. Blaklion 178
    5. Prefect Candidate 176
    5. Regal Encore 170
    5. Go Conquer 172
    8. Gold Present 170

Plus three more who have placed 1/2/3 at 27.5f or over and have a reasonable adjusted RPR sine April 1st.
    9. Final Nudge 165 (TS OK)
    10. Thunder and Ross 170 (April) / 165 (TS best is 127 but that’s just one point too low)
    10. Minella Rocco 164 (TS OK) – only if NOT top weight.

Eleven (possibly 10 if MR top weight) against the current field of 90.

If the winner is not in that 11 then we can forget weight adjusted RPR’s as a way forward (with careful use of TS)
    I am confident it is!!.

100% agree – cash out while you can.
    Mike N says:
    March 10, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Just to say the 11 against the field of 90 (current) which is unlikely to change much now is the result of hours and hours of work over many many weeks. I could have put up the work sheets but hat would have bored everybody (and taken too long) which amounted to many pages and rechecks. I have rechecked all those listed as under 100/1 on the Racing Post site today.

What i need now from the Team is to let me know if you think i have missed the winner and why. i can then reply with my views which may or may not be helpful to you – that way we have a Team effort. Also keen to know any other score/stats results so far.

I am confident in my selections unless i have made a big mistake or missed something obvious to all but me.

16. rough and tumble says:

17. Lucky Vane2 says:

Lucky Vane2 says:
    February 26, 2018 at 1:28 pm
    Another one I’m expecting out is Traffic Fluide. No top 4 in chases of 23.5 furlongs or longer and no plans to enter such a race. If they don’t pull it out now, it will come out later. But TF is not one anyone mentioned on here :P

An update since posting this found Traffic Fluide holds an entry in the Ultima on Tuesday at Cheltenham, he must get fourth or better otherwise he’s out.

This must have been why he wasn’t out at first scratching stage.

18. Lucky Vane2 says:

Systemsman what about Cause Of Causes a good run at Cheltenham could see his price tumble.

rough and tumble says:
    March 10, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Age 7
    Best weight adjusted RPR since April 1st 165 -OK (just).
    Best TS this season 124 – OK
    Best Career TS 124 – needs 128.
    3rd over 3m 4.5f – good
    1st over 4 miles – good.
    6th in Irish national – good.

Not to be ruled out but possibly too slow and aged 7, One for a possible top ten place but probably not 1st – next year perhaps, Had he been 8 and a better career TS he would be in my short list. however a good suggestion. will keep an eye on this one.

Cause Of Causes

Adjusted RPR 173 in April – very good.
    TS best this season 55 – no good.
    TS career best 145 – very good.

Needs a run and good form/TS this season – to look again after Cheltenham. Not dismissed yet but time is running short.

21. Lescargot says:

All very interesting stuff Systemsman ,and thanks for the work. I am going to wait for a final view on your list until we know who’s in. But I will chance my arm:
    Total Recall I think has reached then end of his improvement this season and has too much weight
    Vicente wont run
    The Last Samuri, whats different that he can win this time?
    Blaklion, backed him win bet 25/1 straight after last years race but the trainer the way he has campaigned him has completely lost it and scuppered his chances of winning
    Perfect Candidate not sure will have to look again
    Regal Encore backed him, could improve for different riding tactics and weighted to reverse Hennesy form with TR
    Go conquer, not a good enough hurdler and so far has jumped well once when he got into a good rhythm, but I think if he can’t get to the front will be worried out of it
    Gold Present good win and winners coming out of his race, but typical class horse conditioned to run3m and not much more wont win
    Final Nudge, if he gets in,( and I have given my reasons on many post going back to November) granted some cut and a bit of luck will win the Grand National
    Thunder and Roses, could run well when he won the Irish GN the ground was riding good/soft based on the time not soft. His jumping is erratic, but?
    Rocco not good enough on his current weighting.

So Final Nudge if he gets in will beat Tiger Roll with Regal Encore 3rd, if FN doesn’t get in Tiger Roll will win.

Good luck to everyone with your Cheltenham bets.

22. mike campo says:

Hi L’Escargot,
    You know my views on Rocco, but with regard to The Last Samuri, I’ve taken an EW chance with him based on a Fourth prep run for the first time, which I’m hoping will bring about the necessary improvement.
    Some will disagree, but I still believe Four plus prep runs since 1st Sept is a big plus and that a few good horses who were handicapped when being repeatedly under prep’d, distorted Daniel’s place findings.
    I took 25/1 EW more in the hope of a place but there’s also a concern that many horses have had enough when trying to complete the GN for the third time

Corbiere I have a question for you in the Cheltenham Festival thread.

It will be difficult for me this year Mike N only because I am out Thursday & Friday night.
    I could start it Tuesday/Wednesday and somebody else take over, OR somebody else can volunteer.

If you start it, I can take over Thursday. I think I came in part time last year as well I seem to remember.

Won’t be long now.

My Top 8 at this stage -

26 —–2U Vicente 10-10
    30 —-2P5 Tiger Roll 10-09
    34 —-1PP Chase The Spud 10-08
    50 —F221 Raz De Maree 10-05
    60 -1663P Houblon Des Obeaux 10-03
    68 —–235 Final Nudge 10-02
    69 –63U15 Milansbar 10-02
    70 —–21U Morning Assembly 10-02

Corbs ive got the ball rolling by putting up the rules on the Cheltenham thread. you still ok doing the scores Tuesday and Wednesday.?

28. ESB says:

SYAM entered at Carlisle on Sunday..

29. Lucky Vane2 says:

They desperate to enter this one.

Thanks Mike for putting Cheltenham Top Tipster rules on Chelts thread for me.just signed in to do it, been another mad day.

31. Lucky Vane2 says:

National hopefuls having an outing today are:

Gold Present 2.50 Cheltenham
    O O Seven 2.50 Cheltenham
    Rathvinden 4.50 Cheltenham
    Sizing Codelco 2.50 Cheltenham
    Vicente 2.50 Cheltenham

Missed vintage clouds from that list LV ;)

I think if we got a soft ground national he’d probably be my number one pick

Not sure I’d have a penny on him on typical GN ground though

Thanks Neil, its good to know whose up each day. Interent got ‘fixed’ today, I say fixed I mean back to how bad it was before, dropping out completely for teatime straight after the Ultima which was meh from many I thought, ground excuses? anyone want to start talking soft national haha.
    Vicente! (using like a swear word there) no way Aintree before, no way now! surely. Did he make it round cheltenham today? looked like he may have had a problem with a fence as he was cut out of shot. I really wouldn’t risk him at aintree,. worried if he is going to be ok at ayr now!

35. majorattraction says:

RP comments after the Chelt 2.50 say that Gold Present broke blood vessels today.

Rathvinden predictably shortened for the GN now. 16s PP, 20s bet365.

Who was it that gave him a mench a little while ago on here?

He looked the winner a long way out….. But seemed a tad hesitant to get his head in front

He clearly stay….. But they practically walked the first lap

38. Lucky Vane2 says:

Rathvinden gone from 50/1 to 16/1 (With Paddys), what do people make of him?

Given we all spend an awful lot of time crowing about when we’re right, I thought I’d balance it out some:

Lescargot says:
    February 28, 2018 at 10:52 am
    Is Rathvinden one we should be looking at?

10 year old – OR 150 – likely weight under 11.00

2nd beaten 5 lengths to Faugheen in the Neptune

10 chases
    Best chase RPR 157
    Won 2x grade 3 nov chases
    Won a 3.1f chase
    BD halfway in the grade 1 3m Nevill Hotels chase

Entered for various races at Chelt, including the 4 miler. He wouldn’t look to bad if he won or finished in the first 3 in that.

28 RATHVINDEN (IRE) DP = 1-1-8-4-4 (18) DI = 0.50 CD = -0.50
    CMP = 4-3-4-10-7 Speed = 7 Stamina = 17 Index = 0.54 Triads = 11-17-21

daniel edwards says:
    February 28, 2018 at 11:00 am

“His name jumped out at me as one I didn’t recognise a little while back.

Think I formed that the novice form is a long way short of what’s generally required to win a GN

Could be one to keep an eye on in future years; the fact they gave him a hefty summer campaign is usually a clue that a horse wants good ground.”

He’s now a horse that in the same season has won top level novice races over 4m and 2m4f (and in between)

Pace and stamina and clearly not at all ground dependent.

Very interesting to me now.

Seven Towers says:
    February 28, 2018 at 12:40 pm

“Rathvinden…..Presenting and Strong Gale on the dam’s side! I really could never post again if that one won, so a few will be cheering that one on!”

Should that breeding mean he won’t stay, or won’t be quick enough?

42. majorattraction says:

Had Rathvinden in my top six, took the 80′s in Feb, had him at 20′s today, but is he national bound?

Entries for there and Irish equivalent

Can’t think of any reason not to go to
    Aintree myself, but the trainer will be the one who knows

You are the only one to have voted for him the whole way. Nice spot. Will be keeping an eye on your list next year!!

45. Lucky Vane2 says:

I was looking at Rathvinden just before the National and Ladbrokes (according to oddschecker) was going 80/1.
    Thought I’d wait to see how he does in the festival race. I think he’s come out very well. Reinvested some winnings on to him, but at price (16/1) only worth a win.

CMP stamina a little high, but without full understanding of the method could be worth the risk.

“daniel edwards says:
    March 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    Missed vintage clouds from that list LV ;)

Sorry, Daniel and thanks

“daniel edwards also says:
    March 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I think if we got a SOFT ground national he’d probably be my number one pick”

That might be so, but just over a month away the weather could improve. Last time it was ran on 14th April was Neptune Collonges victory. ;)

Before today weight adjusted RPR’s (most recent on the right) from Sept 1st.

155 / 165 / 163 / 0 / 0

The 165 is OK (but 170 or over best for last three years) – we await todays figure.

TS this season 92 (needs 97 – however 118 was made in August).
    Best career TS 118 – too slow (needs 128).
    Novice this season – OK but a little bit harder. Has only ever won a novice or beginners chase so has not had the face the big boys yet – this is the biggest negative other than TS (which we await today figure).

Needs a TS for today of 128 or better for me and a good RPR. A lot depends of those figures for today as to whether he makes my short list.

47. Patsy2 says:

I thought he ran brave race today, he’s one I’ve been watching for awhile but always seemed to hit trouble in running — today he got it right. He gave everything and was bottomed out when he finished and then took a fair while to recover, it makes you wonder if that’s him for the season. It will take a few weeks for him to recover from todays race, and then could he put it all together again at Aintree?

Rathvinden was legless after today’s race.
    It would be asking too much for him to recover in time to give it a good go.

49. Lucky Vane2 says:

Wednesday it’s the turn of

Bless The Wings
    Cause Of Causes
    Saint Are
    The Last Samuri
    Tiger Roll

In the Cross Country Race at 4.10

If Last Samuri takes to the fences he should hose up. He’s by far the best horse in the race and isn’t having to give weight away

I could see Bless the Wings winning again if LS doesn’t