General horseracing and sport tips June 2017

Please add your general tips and comments etc to this thread.

179 Responses to General horseracing and sport tips June 2017

Just a treble for me tomorrow.

Mutakaayef, Marsha, Enable.

2. marko says:

My picks for today

4.15Y Kylaang Rock 14/1 ew
    4.35Nm Limato 9/2

ew double

good luck all

Added Barsanti/Carravagio double.

In from the oven (not that its much cooler in my house) to watch what could be a good final at wimbledon I think, shame about the roof, it makes for a less comforting nostalgic sound. Oh no Tracey is commentating…. so many loud american voices down here in the south of france, amongst the softly spoken french it really stands out.

they must of heard me… both Tracey and John seem to be whispering,.. maybe the americans here are the worst! seem to be always complaining about something loudly as you walk past, saying something ‘super’ american, have you noticed how most europeans now speak with a new york accent too? drives me mad here ;) funny how the local population have more of a dislike for the english imo… hmmm
    John and Tracey are really engaging and know their stuff lets not complain about them, thank god Annabelle Croft isn’t commentating ;) Who will win team?… both playing initially like they were swinging a golf club, now the nerves showing with Gabby and I think if she gets ahead the nerves will stop her winning, I think Venus has a massive chance of winning, at 37! never say never hey.

Venus is looking a little fatigued at times maybe, certainly less aggressive looking than the last two rounds, illness and that recent car crash,… still Gabby has to convert if she gets to those important points and ultimately the finishing line!
    The court both green and bare at the same time, it never goes like the Borg days now does it, crisp and yellow all over, ah the 70s :D

soon as I post that Venus gets loud and aggressive, key moment efforts vital for her especially.

I think these longer rallies are telling on Venus sadly,. stating to wonder if it goes to 3 sets if she looses the first set. Changed my mind Gabby should win ;)

9. mike campo says:

Hi Marko
    Good luck with Limato.
    I’m heavily in EW at 5/1, 6/1 & 7/1 over the last couple of months, after only getting my money back for the place in the Queens Jubliee when on at 5/1 EW.
    Ryan Moore presumably told O’brien that he feels Caravaggio has his measure after riding Limato at Ascot (although I think Carvaggio will need to be a fair bit better than he’s shown on a racecourse so far), but that ride was after a 3 month break since coming back from injury so I’m expecting quite a lot of improvement today.
    Was a bit worried about all the rain around this week but fingers crossed for at least a place on fastish ground.

Sad to see her fatigue from illness take over.. haven’t watched this set really, spaniard doesn’t have to find her spanish ummph! which is a shame really. Nadal was amazing the other day in defeat!

well that wasn’t the way to win… they won’t be replaying that moment one thinks

12. marko says:

Thanks Mike WD on the place prices it just shows how difficult it is to win every race , there’s always a banana skin somewhere :)

13. mike campo says:

Yep.
    I was a little disappointed that he couldn’t win that but I suppose it was still a decent performance.
    Perhaps Harry Angel is improving fast and is a top class sprinter now.

14. marko says:

I dont believe that , i always back caspian prince , i never looked at the curragh with all the race meetings today

Nice and smooth for my 12-1 Arc selection there.
    Can’t see her going for King George so taken the 6-4 Highland Reel could see him odds on on the day.

16. mike campo says:

Hi Mike
    I haven’t given up on Jack Hobbs yet and have backed him for both the King George & the Arc.
    He’s very big prices due to losing over an inadequate 10F from a poor draw at Ascot after a three month lay off and getting a poor ride into and from a poor position. Should have stuck to 12F in the G2 Hardwicke rather than the 10F POW but Gosden thinks he knows best.
    Softer ground would also help.

Jack Hobbs is definitely your cliff horse Mike C ;)

I don’t think he will beat Highland Reel on summer ground so all being well from my point of view it stays dry.

18. Showlad says:

Afternoon dear friends :) :)

2 tips for the day from your Showlad

3.05 FLORIDA CALLING

4.10 TANGOLAN

For the Open I’m going for Jordan Speith 16s and
    Ricky Fowler 16s. Each way 8 places.

20. marko says:

Thrown a few crumbs on Jimmy Walker 175/1 10 places

Stardrifter in the last at Hamilton.

22. mike campo says:

Hi Mike.
    Jack Hobbs, my Cliff horse, is dead right !
    Though Summer ground ( ie G/F ) isn’t as guaranteed as one might think. Here are the last 11 years since the new course was laid. King George V1 & Queen Elizabeth stakes :

2006 Hurricane Run G/F conditions 6 runners 5/2F
    2007 Dylan Thomas G/Soft 7 5/6F
    2008 Duke Of Marmalade G/F 8 4/6F
    2009 Conduit Good 9 13/8F
    2010 Harbinger Good 6 4/1 2nd Fav
    2011 Nathaniel G/Soft 5 11/2 4th Fav
    2012 DaneDream G/Soft 10 9/1 5th fav
    2013 Novellist G/F 8 13/2 4th Fav
    2014 Taghrooda Good 8 7/2 2nd Fav
    2015 Postponed Soft 7 6/1 4th Fav
    2016 Highland Reel G/F 7 13/8 Fav

In the last eleven years, Soft has been in the going description as many times as Firm. I think that Highland Reel needs fast ground to have the edge and is a very short price to get it.and you have to go back to Swain in 1997/1998 for the last double winner. Interesting that there has only been one double digit field in that time and Six fields with just Two places so EW AP bets on horses likely to take part, could be worth considering for the Three places.

23. mike campo says:

ps
    When I submitted, it took out my spacing so the number of runners taking part each year is the number following the going description.

Mike N says:
    July 18, 2017 at 6:52 am
    For the Open I’m going for Jordan Speith 16s and
    Ricky Fowler 16s. Each way 8 places.

I think I will watch some golf tomorrow. ;)

Although Richard Fahey has the favourite in the super sprint stakes at Newbury I’m going for one of his other runners REQUINTO DAWN and a big price.

Good one Mike N, not seen any golf yet but sounds like Speith did a good job in the weather conditions.
    Today marks the day in 1984 when Seve did his famous celebration putt to win at St.Andrews, I hope someone puts on a dark blue jumper on! cause Seve blue is good luck for sure!. what a joy it was to watch him play, I remember almost wishing for one of his wild shots that he somehow got out of, real flair from those humble beginnings….still greatly missed.
    Will tune in for some golf today too I think… wow, just seen the great white sharks media frenzy photo! ha, there were some broader shoulders around in the golden era in every way.

27. Showlad says:

Afternoon all :) Noone very chatty just now but hello anyway :) :)

Showlad’s tips:

3.05 BORUMA

3.20 EARTHMOVES
    ALCALA
    DAYS OF HEAVEN

Well its a Hello from me ;) and well done with the winner there Showlad…. just been popping in myself.

29. Showlad says:

Hi KJ dear stablemate :)

Still in France – how’s life there? Major struggle and massively busy but glad to say getting there at this end : ) :)

30. Showlad says:

Can’t wait for Jumps to start fully again…amazingly…not long now :)

Glad you are feeling positive! Yes its been pretty tough and expensive journey here! but yes the general feeling you get form just being here in a pedestrianized ancient town is pretty nice in daily life :D ..nice warm feet is great, but still the heat can be rather inescapable! miss a bit of weather, dare I say rain.. and ‘green’ but yes when the jumps are back it will be good dark green therapy ;)

Looking like a Speith v Kuchar war tomorrow. :)

Double bogey for Kuchar at 16. Ouch for him.
    Spieth 3 ahead with 2 to go.

before todays round it read like a two horse race, now dare I say it… nah ;)

Get in Spieth!

Agonising to watch for 13 holes. Then wow.

37. Jackie says:

Well done Mike :D

Ta Jackie.

39. mike campo says:

Good call Mike.
    Re King George V1
    Soft ground currently at Ascot after 19mls of rain since Friday so probably won’t dry out beyond Good by next Saturday.
    I think that Jack Hobbs continues to look good EW value at 8/1 with Lads & Coral.
    I backed Enable at 6/1 in the Oaks but can’t understand why it is now generally 7/4 Favourite for this.
    Connections haven’t even stated that it is an intended runner yet !
    She won the Oaks well by outstaying the overhyped Rhododendron as I hoped but the race was still run in over a second slower time than the Derby and yet the 3 yr old colts are deemed to be substandard this year. She still has a lot to prove and I just don’t get this ridiculous price. The 11/8 that Highland Reel has traded at over the last few weeks was crazy enough, prior to Gosden and co pulling yet another potential U-Turn body blow for AP punters..
    Bookies must be really chuckling to themselves assuming that their not in collusion with the Gosden camp.
    I’m going to Ascot on Saturday to hopefully see the mighty Jack Hobbs in the flesh and hope he doesn’t let me down for at least a place over the more appropriate distance..

Still not sure Enable will run. Leaves me something to ponder if she does as I’m a fan but am currently on Highland Reel.

41. mike campo says:

Hopefully one of us has got this right Mike !

42. mike campo says:

I see Jack Hobbs has been backed back in to 6/1 this afternoon, since my earlier post and Highland Reel has drifted to 5/2 ( 3/1 last matched on Betfair exchange ).

43. mike campo says:

I’ve been reading the comments for the King George V1 on the Betfair anti post horse racing forum.
    Poster, Harry Callaghan states that he doesn’t highly rate the form of Jack Hobbs since his 3 yr old days and along with poster Figgs, doesn’t think that he has improved (trained on) with age.
    For others on here who may be thinking along the same lines, I would point out that every run since his Three year old campaign, has been like a comeback run with at least a Three month gap since his previous run.
    Apart from the Two First season runs as a Four year old when injured during the race and Meyden this year when he won, he has otherwise been beaten by much fitter horses and therefor seriously disadvantaged.
    Win or lose, the King George should give us a truer and fairer assessment of his current ability.

I can’t see Highland winning it now with the rain.
    So will cheer on my Arc pick Enable.

Cashed out Highland and on Enable.

Jack Hobbs looks the main danger.

46. Jackie says:

Hi team

Enable for me with My dream boat ew

Good luck :)